The Datamax Thinking Blog

Educating, collaborating, and sparking ideas for maximizing the technology that matters.

Have You Considered These IT Security Essentials for 2023 and Beyond?


Are you remaining static in your cybersecurity defense? Are you losing ground? We invite you to consider these advanced IT security layers of protection.

David Packard, cofounder of Hewlett-Packard, once said that "to remain static is to lose ground."

The IT Security landscape looks much different than it did five years ago. Cybercriminals continuously find new ways to outsmart organizational defense platforms, and are becoming increasingly sophisticated at concealing their threats. The more we immerse ourselves (and our business practices) into the digital realm, the more the playing field widens for malicious activity.

Consider, too, the world we live in, current economic uncertainty included: Bad actors prey on hardships. They build phishing campaigns around what is happening in the world and take advantages of the misfortune. 

All that is to say: Are you remaining static in your cybersecurity defense? Are you losing ground? In its “Planning Guide 2023: Security and Risk” whitepaper, Forrester puts it like this.

“Cyberattacks and data breaches don’t pause with an economic slowdown. When prioritizing security investments, security leaders should continue to invest in security controls and solutions that protect the organization’s customer-facing and revenue-generating workloads.”

As you plan for 2023, we invite you to consider these advanced IT security layers of protection.

1. Multifactor Authentication.

It’s simple, really. But it’s simply an essential security tool for organizations moving forward.
You’ve likely used it already. Multifactor authentication is a layered approach to securing data and applications where a system requires a user to present a combination of two or more credentials to verify a user’s identity for login. By adding a required physical element to gain access (a la the smartphone in your hands), you’ve stopped even the most advanced cybersecurity threat dead in its tracks.

2. Sandboxing Endpoint Security.

A sandbox is an isolated online environment that enables users (or in this case security systems) to run programs or open files without affecting the application, system, or platform on which they run.
How does it work? Suspicious files are analyzed in-depth by detonating payloads in a cloud platform, or in a secure customer virtual environment. The sandbox technology observes malware behavior by simulating a ‘real target’ so that the malware will act as it would in the wild. Post analysis, appropriate actions are taken to effectively neutralize the threat.

3. End User Training.

Your weakest link isn’t a link at all. It’s the human(s) that utilize technology every day.

Forrester says this in its report: “It’s tempting to cut spending in these areas (Staffing and security awareness/training) when the economic picture darkens, but it won’t save much compared with other expenditures, and it will exacerbate the skills shortage and sacrifice the ability to instill trust just when borderless, anywhere work organizations need it most.”

How well have you equipped your employees to investigate and properly avoid phishing scams? Do they have good password hygiene?

According to KnowBe4, only about 3% of malware tries to exploit an exclusively technical flaw. The other 97% instead target users through Social Engineering. Case in point: Your users need to be trained. It’s up to leadership to plan for and properly outsource a partner who can provide such services.

4. A Trusted Partner.

Are you still relying on one internal IT person to keep up with the evolution of cyber criminals? Do you own the expertise to properly vet and onboard advanced security tactics like the ones listed above? Consider that, according to Cloudwards, 37 percent of businesses were hit by Ransomware in 2021. On average, it costs businesses $1.85 million to recover from an attack in that same year.

It might be time to pick a partner. For more about picking the RIGHT one, click here.

Want to sleep a little better at night in 2023? Tired of either pleading ignorance or holding your breath at the thought of security flaws in your organization? We’d love to visit about TechCare, our signature Managed IT Services Program that gives you the freedom to focus on your forte. We’ll handle the security.

New call-to-action

Topics: Network Management Managed Services Network Security Security