The Green Back Proposition—from giving green back to getting green back.
Environmental responsibility continues to be a much talked about business issue. In fact, a recent study suggests that as many as 67% of companies are in the process of implementing environmental programs. Today, being “green” not only impacts corporate image, but also competitive advantage and bottom line.
For most companies, significant green opportunities exist when it comes to printing. When the total costs of hardware, supplies, maintenance, and internal IT support are calculated, an unmanaged fleet of printers, copiers and fax machines typically consumes about 2-3% of revenues. Just as important, a considerable environmental footprint is left behind in the process. Some additional statistics to consider…
- Paper is the leading source of waste in the office. In fact, the average office worker uses 10,000 sheets of paper a year—that’s approximately 1.2 trees. Environmental Protection Agency Study
- A Fortune 500 company could save 800 tons of paper in a year by setting duplex printing as a default—at an annual savings of $7.7M. Internal HP Case Study
- The average employee’s printing costs companies $600 to $1,300 per year, with a substantial portion of that cost going to pages employees never even intended to print. (GreenPrint Study)
- Of company energy expenditure on nights and weekends, 66% of that is because IT equipment is not being turned down to the lowest possible energy-saving level. Department of Energy Study
At Datamax, our Green Back Proposition is rather simple. By implementing strategies like enterprise-wide print management, you can minimize your company’s carbon footprint to give green back to the environment—and get some green back as well. Saving considerable amounts of paper and toner, recycling the paper and toner that’s used, and minimizing power consumption is green-light thinking worth embracing.
Other internal green initiatives we’ve embraced include:
- Ongoing "independent" partnership with the Arbor Day Foundation to plant trees in our nation’s damaged forests (Since 2011, Datamax has helped to plant more than 7,200 trees in forests of greatest need across the country through a partnership with the Arbor Day Foundation)
- Partnering with renowned eco-conscious vendors such as Canon, Konica Minolta, Kyocera, Lexmark, Dell, and Hewlett Packard
- Participating in and promoting the use of our vendors’ used toner cartridge recycling and collection programs
- Advocating the concept of “greener printing” to our clients through the crafting of well thought out managed print strategies
- Keeping a watchful eye on our facilities’ energy consumption to reduce the impact of our operations on the environment
- Using virtualization technology at the server and workstation level to reduce energy consumption
- Recycling cardboard and expired technologies
- Purchasing and utilizing recycled products whenever feasible
- Encouraging environmental awareness internally by educating our employees on our sustainability initiatives, as well as externally via our corporate communications
To learn more about DatamaxGreen and our ideas and solutions for giving green back to the environment and getting green back in return, let’s visit!